Here is a recipe I love making for breakfast! These puffs turn out wonderfully – my family loves them and they’re gone in minutes.
Recipe for Nun’s Puffs
- 1/2 cup butter (we use a non-dairy butter called Smart Balance)
- 1 cup milk (I used Rice milk)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- Generously grease twelve 2 1/2 inch muffin cups, including the edges around the top of cups; set aside. In a medium saucepan melt butter; add milk. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that does not separate. Remove from heat; cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute with a wooden spoon after each addition or until smooth. Divide dough evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling cups about 2/3 full; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a 375 F degree oven about 20-30 minutes (ovens vary) or until golden brown and puffy. Remove from pan. Serve immediately. If desired, serve with honey.
Just a note, I wouldn’t advise using whole wheat flour substituting for the white flour in this particular recipe as I tried once (I know some of my readers are whole-wheat users). They didn’t turn out as well.